Tuesday, September 15, 2015

TUESDAYS TUNES - When A Tune Is Stuck In Your Head

There are all sorts of songs that for whatever reason, because it's catchy or reminds you of something else, or something, gets stuck in your head and no matter what you do, you just can't get it out of your mind.  Sometimes those songs just pop into your head and you have no idea where it came from or why it's there - but you certainly hadn't heard it at any time recently.

Yeah, so that happened to me this morning.

I'd planned to feature a new song by a beloved band today for the Tuesday Tune, and then I woke up with an old ditty pinging in my ear and I can't get the damn thing out.  I'm making breakfast and packing lunches for my kids and I'm humming and singing.  I'm driving through light rain and gloomy streets to take them to school and, even though the radio is playing something else entirely, I'm still singing this song under my breath.

And I don't know why. It is a song I've always liked. I can remember being just a little girl and dancing with my grandpa in his kitchen to this song, while grandma sang along with the tape that was playing it.  I can remember swaying back and forth with my dad's arm over my shoulder, and singing this song with him at someone's wedding years ago.

But I have no earthly idea why this song was on my mind this morning.  I literally woke up with the sound of it chiming in my ear, even as I opened my eyes. And if I'm completely honest, it did wake me with a smile.

So maybe I just need to share it - the memories, the melody - with the world in order to let it go. I guess anything is worth trying at this point.

Whatever happens, I hope you enjoy, and maybe you'll get a smile this morning too.

No comments: