Sunday, May 10, 2015

#WhatAreYouReading this Mother's Day?


A book from Johanna Lindsey’s Malory Series may have been the first romance novel I ever read, the first one that made me pause and go “hmmm, romance?” but it was Dance Upon the Air, the first book in Roberts’ Three Sisters Trilogy that had me scrambling back to the book store in search of more, and more.  And more.

Since that auspicious day many years ago, my library has grown beyond the space allotted to hold it. Today I have books stashed in nearly every room of my home and in all kinds of nooks and crannies.  My phone, iPad and e-reader are loaded with even more books in digital form.  Yet every Spring, nearly like clockwork, I seem to gravitate towards the sections of my library that hold my Nora Roberts’ collection.  Maybe I need to be refreshed and rejuvenated, as the Earth is during Spring.  Maybe I just feel the need to return to the stories and books that were an essential part of making me the reader and writer I am today. 

Most of all, I turn back to the Nora Roberts’ books because of the relationships that she writes – not just man to woman, or woman to man, but all of the relationships: mother to child, brother to brother, cousin to cousin, and on and on.  I am a 30-something-year old woman with a husband and three kids.  I have sisters, parents, cousins, grandparents, aunts and uncles and more.  That’s life, real life, my life.  And I know every single time I pick up a Nora Roberts’ novel, no matter what it is, that that is what I’ll find inside.  Regardless of magic and mystery, myth, suspense or history, any title by Nora that I pick up will have those gossamer strings of family weaving through it.

So on this Mother’s Day I’ve reached for my bookshelf and pulled out Blue Dahlia from the In The Garden trilogy.  A wonderful book and trilogy that illuminates the beauty and love of family – not just the one you’re born into, or the one you birth, but also the family that you choose and nurture, the family that you make your own.

#WhatAreYouReading?

No comments: